Niacin (30mg)Niacin, or vitamin B3, is an essential nutrient that is a precursor to NAD+ production, which is directly involved with the body’s ability to generate energy from fuel (carbs, fats, and protein). Additionally, niacin can directly affect growth hormone production in children and adults, which can prove beneficial for muscle growth.
- Stokes and colleagues (2008) demonstrated that niacin supplementation can significantly increase growth hormone production (over 4x greater in niacin group vs. placebo) after successive bouts of high-intensity exercise.
Beta Alanine (2500mg)
Beta-alanine is a precursor to the production of carnosine – a molecule utilized by the body to buffer acids in skeletal muscle. Exercise produces acid buildup through the conversion of fuels to energy. Supplementing with beta-alanine can improve buffering ability in the body, which leads to decreased muscle soreness and increased performance.
- Kern et al. (2011) observed that consumption of beta-alanine for 8 weeks increased lean mass in football players collegiate wrestlers.
- Smith et al. (2009) showed that beta-alanine increased total work performed, time to exhaustion, VO2Peak, and lean mass, in young, healthy men.
N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (750mg)
Tyrosine is an essential amino acid, and the added acetyl group of N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine allows for higher brain uptake via increased blood brain barrier permeability. Tyrosine is a precursor to serotonin, an important neurotransmitter regarding mood and energy.
- Tyrosine increased cognitive function during combat training in military cadets, especially in the areas of memory and cognitive task performance (Deijen et al., 1999).
- Banderet et al. (1989) showed that tyrosine improved mood and cognition during stressful conditions (cold and altitude).
Hydromax Glycerol Powder (65%) (750mg)
Hydromax is a patented form of glycerol: a compound that improves hydration by carrying water molecules into muscle. As the muscles fill with water, the swelling will also stimulate satellite cells to build muscle fibers and further grow the muscle.
- In a meta-analysis, hyperhydration with glycerol was shown to prolong exercise performance under hot conditions (Goulet et al., 2007).
Caffeine Anhydrous (310mg)
A well-known stimulant used across the globe, caffeine does more than just wake you up in the morning. Caffeine is a mainstay ingredient in any pre-workout, since it can improve power output, aerobic, and anaerobic exercise, while also bringing powerful energy and focus.
- Schneiker et al. (2006) observed that caffeine increased peak power by 7% and total work by 8.5% in trained athletes.
- Caffeine improved sprinting time by 1.4% during a multiple sprint running test (Glaister et al., 2012).
2-Aminoisoheptane (Aconitum Kusnezoffii Extract) (150mg)
This cutting-edge trace amine can dramatically boost energy and focus, similar to its structurally similar relative, DMAA. 2-Aminoisoheptane acts via enhanced dopamine and noradrenaline release and inhibits their reuptake, so that the cognitive benefits are strong and long-lasting.
- Miller (2011) observed that trace amines are active in the brain via the trace amine associated receptor 1 (TAAR1), which regulates monoamine transporters such that dopamine release is increased and reuptake is decreased, for a stronger and longer-lasting effect.
Amentoflavone (Selaginella tamariscina extract) (100mg)
Amentoflavone is found in many commonly used botanicals, and has multiple beneficial properties for athletes. It can increase muscle contractions via increased calcium release in the muscle, and is a potent vasodilator.
- Suzuki et al. (1999) found that amentoflavone increased calcium release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum in skeletal muscle, which would lead to stronger contractions.
- Kang et al. (2004) demonstrated that amentoflavone can dilate blood vessels, leading to increased blood flow to muscles. Other studies indicate that the mechanism may be inhibition of phosphodiesterases.
N-Phenylethyldimethylamine HCl (Eria Jarensis) (100mg)
N-phenylethyldimethylamine is a trace amine that modulates and regulates release of multiple neurotransmitters, similar to its chemical cousin, DMAA. Due to its unique chemical structure, it provides an increase in focus and mood that is both powerful and long-lasting.
- Ishida et al. (2005) demonstrated how phenylethylamines can increase dopamine release in dopaminergic neurons in several areas of the brain.
Dimethylethanolamine (DMAE) serves as a precursor to acetylcholine, an essential neurotransmitter for muscular contraction in the musculoskeletal system and for attention, learning, and memory in the brain. Its chemical structure allows the compound to cross the blood-brain barrier, resulting in noticeable increases in alertness, mood and overall mental clarity.
- Pieralisi et al. (1991) demonstrated that dimethylethanolamine, as part of a multi-ingredient formula (similar to Stand the F*ck Up), improved the exercise capacity in 50 male sports teachers by improving muscular oxygen utilization.
Zembrin (Sceletium tortuosum (aerial parts) extract) (25mg)
This traditional herb has been used for stress relief for centuries. By inhibiting both serotonin and phosphodiesterase 4, it is able to improve cognition, mood, and blood flow.
- Terburg et al. (2013) showed a reduction in state anxiety after administration of Sceletium tortuosum in response to a cognitive task
- Chiu and colleagues (2014) demonstrated that consuming Sceletium tortuosum improved executive function and cognitive flexibility: two cognitive domains necessary for athletic performance.
Theanine is an amino acid that is used for producing certain neurotransmitters (instead of proteins like many other amino acids) that modulate feelings of relaxation and calmness. Not only is theanine effective for reducing anxiety and promoting calm, but it also works to improve cognition when combined with caffeine.
- Owen et al. (2008) demonstrated that theanine plus caffeine can improve attention and focus during a cognitive test battery better than caffeine alone.
Astragin (Astralagus membranaceus and Panax notoginseng) (25mg)
Astragin is a patented blend of two highly purified and concentrated botanicals: Panax notoginseng and Astragalus membrenaceus. This high-impact combination enhances the absorption of many molecules, so that all the powerful compounds in this formula are fully bioavailable for the highest possible effect.
- An active ginseng-based steroid found in Astragin (Rg1) improved recovery after strenuous exercise by lowering inflammation, increasing glycogen replenishment and improving meal tolerance (eat more!) in healthy, young men (Hou et al, 2015).